No Taming This Shrew

5.18.2005

High Fidelity Challenge

So Momentary wanted me to do this test, which will be a sad proclamation of my banal music tastes compared to hers, but here goes! (sorry formatting is so weird)

Top 5 lyrics that move me today (I can't rank, just list):
1. "If I could be who you wanted all the time..." Radiohead "fake plastic trees"
2. "she tried to be a good girl and a good wife
Raise a good family
Lead a good life
It's not good enough
She got herself up on the 48th floor
Gotta find out
Find out what she's living for" U2, "Surrender"
3. " dreaming of the tenderness-the tremble in the hips
of kissing Mary's lips" Peter Gabriel, "Mercy Street"
4. "F*&ck you, and your untouchable face. F*&ck you, for existing in the first place,
And who am I, that I should be vying for your touch,
Oh who am I, I bet you can't even tell me that much." --Ani Difranco, "Untouchable Face"
5. " Years go by
Will I still be waiting
For somebody else to understand
Years go by
If I'm stripped of my beauty
And the orange clouds
Raining in head
Years go by
Will I choke on my tears
Till finally there is nothing left
One more casualty
You know we're too easy Easy Easy" Tori Amos, "Silent all these years"

Top 5 instrumentals
1. Goldberg Variations
2. Beethoven's Ninth
3. "Reel Beatrice" on Brothers McMullen Soundtrack
4. Miles Davis
5. (cheating -- it's opera) Carmen, Bizet

Top 5 live shows
1. U2 any time I've seen them. Especially the "Everything you can't leave behind" tour because I was so damn close
2. Radiohead back in the early 90s when they opened for Belly or something silly at the 40 Watt in Athens
3. Cure, early summer 1992 tour -- damn damn damn that was a performance
4. Beck on the Midnight Vultures tour (or maybe Weezer -- both fun)
5. The Hives -- most fun at a concert ever. "You have 20 minutes left with The Hives! How will you use them?"
honorable mentions: Public Enemy, Pixies, and Pigface; Pete Yorn

More people should hear:
1. Starsailor -- I love this guy's voice
2. Doves -- great band
3. Shins -- I cannot stop listening to them. Great great songwriting and melodies
4. StellaStar* -- I enjoy their writing and their sound more than I thought I would
5. Bloc Party -- Great tunes

Five (or 6?) Albums I listen to in full (this is something I rarely do):
1. Postal Service, "Give up" -- It's once of the few "new" bands I listen to consistently
2. Beatles, "Sgt. Peppers" -- Grew up on the 8-track; it's the only one I don't skip around on
3. Interpol, "Turn on the Bright Lights" -- revelatory album still
4. Liz Phair, "Exile in Guyville" -- angry sexy screwed up album
5. Pete Yorn, "Music for the Morning After" -- solid throughout
6. U2, "War" -- I think it's glorious

Five Musical Heroes:
1. Elvis
2. Joan Jett
3. Janis Joplin
4. John Lennon
5. Blanking....David Bowie, Bono, Puffy? :)